APPLE JAM

by - April 04, 2017


JAM
APPLE JAM


    This gorgeous golden hued Apple Jam is filled with fresh apple flavour and a wonderful texture.  This Jam is quite easy to make and has no preservatives or artificial pectin in it. This recipe is for a small batch prepared with just a few Apples.  The best thing about this preparation is that it is a quick process and won’t overwhelm your kitchen.  All the more, it was ready within minutes.
     I was in the process of cleaning out my refrigerator, and it is a usual process whenever I travel away from home.  I leave just a few items which can last long and which I would need immediately when I come back.  There I found few apples and some fruits lying in my fruit basket. As I was leaving home the next day, I had no choice of using them all up within an evening.  My thought gave a path to the idea of APPLE JAM with the apples and a Mixed Fruit Jam with other fruits. I searched through my cook books for the long forgotten recipe with strong reminiscent of memories.
     Should have been long enough I prepared this jam, may be around 12 years. But the flavour of the Jam still lingers on my tongue and thoughts, some recipes leave a strong note through my memories, and this dish is surely one among them.  It reminds me of steamed apples my Mom gives me for breakfast during my school days.
      I have used two Granny Smith and 4 Fiji Apples in this recipe.  We can all the more use any variety of locally available apples.  But be aware that the result may, of course, behave differently. My Jam came out with a perfectly expected texture with its wonderful golden colour. 
     Pectin is one main ingredient in the preparation of Jam, which helps to thicken the Jam.  Apples have a lot of natural pectins.  So I have not used any Pectin powder in the recipe, you may just have to boil the jam a little longer.  But make sure not to skip the lemon juice, though, because that helps prevent the apples from turning brown. Also, I have not used any preservatives in the Jam, as I have made only a small batch of it.  Refrigerate it and consume within a months time.
     It tastes great over a toast, or spread it over your favourite bread or for a real treat has it with some warm croissants. I could just have a slice of toast for my breakfast and I left the Jam bottle in the freezer, to last a bit longer when we come back after our holidays.

For more JAMS/PRESERVES RECIPES, Click here...

 

Cuisine - Around the World
Recipe Type - Preserve/Jam
Difficulty - Medium
Yields - 2- 21/2 Cups
Author - SM

Preparation Time -

 

HOW TO MAKE APPLE JAM - HOMEMADE APPLE JAM

INGREDIENTS:

For Apple Jam:

Apple - 6 Nos.
Sugar - 21/2 Cups
Lemon Juice - 1/4 Cup
Cinnamon Powder - 1 Teaspoon (Optional)

METHOD:

  • Peel, core and cut the apples into small pieces.
  • Sprinkle few drops of water and Steam cook the apple pieces for a minute.
  • Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
  • Grind the steamed Apple pieces into a purée. 
  • Pour the Apple purée to a heavy bottomed pan, along with the Sugar and Cinnamon Powder.
  • Cook this on a low flame, stirring occasionally.
  • Add Lemon juice, stir well, and then bring to a boil.
  • Boil it for about 30-40 minutes until it thickens, stirring frequently.
  • Ladle the hot jam into clean and dry, sterilized jars.
  • Allow it to cool and then cover the jars tightly before refrigerating. 

NOTES:

  • Can use a pinch of sodium benzoate as a preservative, if you are storing it for a long time. 
  • Can use Cinnamon/Clove/Cardamom Powder in this recipe.  Adding the spice powder to the recipe is purely optional.
  • Can also add a teaspoon of pectin powder, few drops of food colour and flavourings if you prefer.
  • Adjust the amount of sugar to suit your sweet tooth.
  • Store them in clean and dry, sterilized jars.
  • Allow it to cool down completely before refrigerating.
  • For a traditional method of Canning, process the Jars using the hot water bath method for 10 minutes.
  • You can also freeze the jam, but make sure to leave a little space at the top of the jar, as it expands in the freezer.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Excellent article on how to make apple jam. Great!!!

    ReplyDelete

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive