We lived in a small house in the heart of Coimbatore(as my Dad says), where I had spend most of my growing age. It reflected a typical middle-class family house but quite smaller in size. Living in such compact places have kept the kinship so tight and close in the best possible way. It was a Two-room house with a Living Room - converted to a bedroom at night, re-purposed as a dining room, turned corners into a comfortable study room and a small kitchen.
Refrigerator, Television, Mixer, Grinder and even Telephone were considered luxury items back then. I can clearly recall the times when my parents were able to afford to procure such necessities, later on, one after the other. It was simple, but a very happy home that stood tall and strong to demonstrate that people created happiness and not money or material things.
The story of Tomato Juice revolves during the time when we didn't have a Blender(mixer-grinder) at home. When the market gets loaded with Tomatoes during the season, you get it at an unbelievable cheap price. I have seen the ladies in the neighbourhood buy and stock Tomatoes. There often comes a point in the season in which the bounty greatly exceeds one’s ability to consume it as such. And without refrigerators, storing becomes a tough job. During those times, my mom briefly blanches the Tomatoes and squeeze it out with hands, sieve it, add Sugar and convert it into Tomato Juice. She had her own way to make Juices then. Preparing Juices with Oranges & Mosambi were easy though. She used to steam the Apple, mash it and then add Milk & Sugar for Apple Juice. Mash & squeeze juice out of Grapes & Watermelon and so on.
Whenever I make Tomato Juice, I am reminded of those days along with the smell of Tomato Juice. Use ripe tomatoes for added sweetness to the drink. Tomatoes are naturally acidic, so add Sugar/Honey to balance it. Apart from being versatile and delicious, the humble Tomato Juice is a powerhouse of nutrition & cater a wide range of health benefits. And above all, it cut down your calorie intake and help you create that calorie deficit required to lose weight.
Tomato Juice made from fresh tomatoes is the best according to me. Add a preferred sweetener or simply add Pepper Powder/Tabasco Sauce to add a spicy punch to your drink. Combine Tomato Juice along with other Vegetables like Carrot, Beetroot or Celery to boost the nutrition content. Simply convert the Tomato Juice to a wide range of Cocktails by adding it along with Gin/Vodka/Rum/Beer/Tequilla. Spice the Cocktail with Jalapeno or add a dash of Lime or flavour it with Basil/Oregano for a wonderful combination of taste and flavour.
For more JUICES, SMOOTHIES & DRINKS, Click here...
Recipe Type - Juice
Difficulty - Easy
Serves - 1
Author - SM
Preparation Time - 5 - 10 Minutes
INGREDIENTS :Tomatoes - 2-3 Nos.
Sugar/Honey - 1 Tbspn
Ice Cubes/Water -1/ 2 Cups
Add-ons(If preferred) :Lime Juice - 1/2 Tbspn
Mint Leaves - Few
- Wash the Tomatoes, cut it into 4-6 pieces.
- In a blender jar add Tomato pieces, Sugar/Honey and Ice Cubes/Water and blend until all the ingredients are well combined and pureed.
- Sieve it through a colander
- Pour the Tomato Juice into a glass.
For a Citrusy Mint Note in Tomato Juice(Optional) :
- Add Lime Juice to the pureed Tomato Juice and give a quick stir.
- Pour the Tomato Juice into a glass.
- Garnish the Juice with Mint Leaves and Chill before serving if you like.
To read about the HEALTH BENEFITS OF TOMATOES, Click here...
- Alternatively, place the Tomatoes into a bowl and let it cool in a refrigerator/freezer for 1-2 hours before blending.
- Can avoid adding Ice Cubes/Water.
- Adding Sugar/Honey will balance the natural acidity of the Tomatoes, adjust to suit your taste preference.
- Can add Soda Water instead of Water/Ice cubes for a punchy Carbonated Tomato Juice.
- Can also add Tabasco Sauce/Pepper/Jalapeno for a spicy punch in the drink.
- Can convert the Tomato Juice into wonderful cocktails too.