GOTHAMBU PAYASAM - BROKEN WHEAT PAYASAM

by - April 15, 2019


PAYASAM PRADHAMAN KHEER
GOTHAMBU PAYASAM - BROKEN WHEAT PAYASAM

     Gothambu Payasam/Pradhaman is a Classic Payasam prepared with Broken Wheat/Nurungu Gothambu in a delectable concoction made with Coconut Milk and Jaggery & flavoured with Cardamoms & Dry Ginger.  The Broken Wheat/Nurungu Gothambu in this Pradhaman is slightly bigger than the Samba Gothumai Rava/Broken Wheat/Dhalia we use for Upmas. This Broken Wheat/Nurungu  Gothambu has a wonderful texture when cooked. It is one of the Traditional Pradhamans of Kerala, cooked during special occasions and festivals. Even during a cooking show by Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni, he was mentioning this Gothambu Pradhaman as one of the oldest Payasams prepared during Sanga Kalam. His recipe was prepared with Palm Sugar.
     And when it comes to our family, my MOM makes the best Gothambu Pradhaman.  A default payasam at my Mother's home for any occasion - Onam, Vishu, Birthday.  Gothambu Payasam/Pradhaman comes along with the reminiscence of childhood memories for me. Whenever I get nostalgic about certain events I'm sure to go ponder my Freezer for the stock of Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat which is a default supply from my father, who readily packs it for me whenever I visit home. Followed by making Gothambu Pradhaman.  I love to devour it by adding Pappadam & Pazham(which my husband loathes).  My mom makes Gothambu Payasam whenever I visit home and makes it sure to give me a batch mixed along with Pappadam & Pazham.
     It was literally after a long time I cooked this Gothambu Pradhaman this time when I got loaded with temptation for the same.  Though I made a small batch just for two of us - me and my husband. While eating this dessert after lunch my husband said you could have made Parippu Pradhaman(his all-time favourite).  I said, fine I will make it tomorrow.  Casually he commented I don't mind if you make it today( the kid in him popping out). A batch of Parippu Pradhaman followed the suit the same day.
     Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheatis rich in fibre & loaded with a lot of nutrients. Apart from making Payasam, it can also be used to make Gothambu Kanji which is a real comfort food. For reference, I have added a picture of Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat below.


For more PAYASAM/PRADHAMAN/KHEER RECIPES, Click here...



Cuisine - Kerala (India)
Recipe Type - Pradhaman/Payasam , Dessert
Difficulty - Easy
Serves - 4- 6
Author - SM

Preparation Time - 15-25 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 -30 Minutes


For more SADHYA RECIPES, Click here...

HOW TO COOK GOTHAMBU PAYASAM - BROKEN WHEAT PAYASAM

PAYASAM PRADHAMAN KHEER
GOTHAMBU PAYASAM - BROKEN WHEAT PAYASAM

 

INGREDIENTS :

Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat - 1/2 Cup
Jaggery - 1 Cup
Water - 3/4 Cup + 11/2 Cups
Thick Coconut Milk - 1 Cup
Thin Coconut Milk - 2 Cups
Ghee - 3 Tbspn
Cashew Nuts - 10 - 12 No's.
Cardamom - 6 No's.
Dry Ginger Powder - 1/2Tspn
Salt - a Pinch


METHOD :

  • Add Jaggery into the 3/4 Cup of Water, boil this on high flame for few minutes.
  • Lower the flame and boil for 5–6 minutes and strain for any impurities.
  • Cook Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat along with 11/2 Cups of water & a dash of Salt until it turns soft.
  • Can cook Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat in a Pressure Cooker.
  • Cook for 2–3 Whistles on a high flame, reduce the flame and cook for another 2–3 whistles.
  • Once the pressure is totally released, remove the lid of the pressure cooker.
  • Pour the Jaggery Syrup to the cooked Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat and allow it to boil on a very low flame for few minutes.
  • Allow it to absorb the Jaggery Syrup.
  • Powder the Cardamoms with a few teaspoons of Sugar into a fine powder. 
  • Add Cardamom Powder and Dry-Ginger Powder to the above and mix well.
  • Pour Thin Coconut Milk into it and cook on a low flame for a few minutes.
  • Finally, add Thick Coconut Milk and leave it on a low flame for a few minutes, stirring it continuously.
  • Heat Ghee in a separate pan, fry Coconut Slices until they turn aromatic and slightly browned.
  • Fry Cashew nuts and Raisins.
  • Add the above ingredients to the Gothambu Pradhaman and mix well.
  • Serve Gothambu Pradhaman hot or cold.
GOTHAMBU PRADHAMAN
NURUNGU GOTHAMBU/BROKEN WHEAT

NOTES :

  • Use Nurungu Gothambu/Broken Wheat a bigger sized broken wheat for Gothambu Pradhaman. See the picture above for reference.
  • Melt the Jaggery and strain for any impurities.
  • Adjust the amount of sweetness to your preference.
  • My Mom do not add fried Cashew nuts, Raisins or Coconut Slices for this Gothambu Pradhaman. 
  • Her version of Gothambu Pradhaman is just flavoured with Cardamoms, but richly cooked in freshly extracted Coconut Milk.
  • The consistency and the texture of my Mom's Gothambu Pradhaman is so perfect that I keep it as a benchmark while preparing the dessert
  • I add few chopped Cashew nuts to the Gothambu Pradhaman.
  • Adding fried Coconut Pieces and Dry-ginger powder to the Gothambu Pradhaman is purely optional.


You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive