PANEER PARATHA

by - March 03, 2022

PARATHA - INDIAN BREADS
PANEER PARATHA

    Being a South Indian, Rice is predominant in my Kitchen, but when I was just pondering through my cooking habits, I find that I have been balancing equally with both Roti and Rice.  At least 2-3 days in a week, I cook Chapati or Paratha for Lunch & Dinner.  Though Chapati takes over my menu very frequently, Parathas pop-up into my Menu as frequently as it is.  The reason is our love for Stuffed Parathas.  My daughter loves Stuffed Parathas and her most favourite is this Paneer Paratha.

    I had taken the picture a few days back, but couldn't find time to write the recipe for Paneer Paratha. Two weeks back I fell sick due to the side effects of some medicines I was prescribed with and to top up the scenario I got infected with Chicken Pox.  I had a tough time tackling both the issues.  Meanwhile, my daughter took over the kitchen and was cooking in a spree, treating me like a mother. Catering juices, tender coconut, porridge etc., & etc., on time with all great dedication and care. Alongside she was cooking all goodies like Parathas, Dhals, Kola Urundai, Appam, Stew, Chicken Curries and what not. She even went a step ahead and cooked Kerala Red Rice and my husband was all amazed by the way she catered food on time with all good precision and perfection.  I was happy that for a first timer she was doing a great job, and finally she was using the recipes from my Blog(I am at all glee).

    One day she came up asking me whether I have posted the recipe for Paneer Paratha & I said not yet.  She was planning to make Paneer Paratha from scratch.  She made Paneer and for dinner she had cooked Paneer Paratha.  Though I couldn't eat it, just for the sake, I tasted a bit and the aroma was so good that it was wafting around.  So, as soon as I am on the recovery process, I planned to write the recipe for Paneer Paratha here.   So, now I know, the sole intention of starting this blog is accomplished in my terms.  I started it to keep up a journal of all my recipes in a blog so that my kids or anybody interested can use the recipes when in need.

PARATHA - INDIAN BREADS
PANEER PARATHA

      Stuffed Indian Bread, colloquially named Parathas are Rotis made with immediately available ingredients in an Indian Kitchen. North Indian Cuisine is filled with variable recipes, with a variety of stuffed Parathas. These parathas are made with Whole wheat flour(Gehun ka Aatta).  We can get wild with the choice of stuffings, Aloo Paratha with Potatoes Stuffed in it, or Methi (Fenugreek Leaves) Paratha/Thepla, Mint Paratha, Onion/Spring Onion Paratha, Gobi(Cauliflower) Paratha, Mooli(Radish) Paratha, Dhal Paratha, Paneer Paratha, Green Peas Paratha etc., & etc.,

      Paneer Paratha is one of the most famous Indian Bread stuffed with Paneer.  This is a popular dish originating from Punjab, but can commonly be termed as a North Indian Dish.  Paneer Paratha can be served at any time of the day, it suits well for a breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Serve hot Paneer Parathas with a blob of Butter along with a cup of Curd(Yogurt), Pickle or Raitha.

For more Recipes on INDIAN BREADS, Click here...


Cuisine : North Indian ( Punjabi)
Course : Main Course
Difficulty : Medium
Spice Level - Low
Serves : 4
Yields : 12 - 15 Parathas
Author : SM

Preparation Time : 25-30 Minutes
Leavening Time : 5-8 Minutes
Cooking Time : 15-20 Minutes

For more PARATHA RECIPES, Click here...


HOW TO MAKE PANEER PARATHA - INDIAN COTTAGE CHEESE STUFFED PARATHA

PARATHA - INDIAN BREADS
PANEER PARATHA

INGREDIENTS:

For The Dough:

Whole Wheat Flour - 2 Cups
Salt - To Taste
Sugar - 1
Teaspoon (Optional)
Ghee/Oil - 2 Tablespoons
Water - as Required

  

For the Stuffing:

Paneer - 1/2 Cup
Onion - 1 No.
Green Chillies - 1-2 Nos.
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1/2 Teaspoon
Dry Mango Powder(Amchur) - 2 Teaspoons
Coriander Leaves/Spring Onions - Few.
Salt - To Taste
Oil/Ghee - 2 Teaspoons

 

For a detailed Recipe on HOW TO MAKE PANEER, Click here...

To Cook:

Ghee/Oil - 4-5 Tablespoons (To Drizzle)

METHOD:

For the Dough:

  • Mix all the ingredients mentioned under 'For the dough', adding a little water, and knead it into a pliable dough.
  • Finally, add oil /melted Ghee and knead it again for about 7-8 minutes.
  • Cover and leave it aside for 5-8 minutes.
  • Before rolling them, knead it again.
  • Divide the dough into 12-15  medium-sized balls and keep it aside.

For the Stuffing:

  • I have used fresh homemade Paneer in this recipe.
  • Grate the Paneer
  • Mix the grated paneer with finely chopped Onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and other spice powders me mentioned under "For stuffing".
  • Mix all the ingredients well until the spice powders are well combined with the Paneer.
  • Divide the Paneer Stuffing into 12-15 medium-sized balls and keep them aside.
PARATHA - INDIAN BREADS
PANEER PARATHA

For Paneer Paratha:

  • Roll the dough balls into thin circles.
  • Place a little Paneer Stuffing at the centre.
  • Bring the sides of the dough together and seal them tightly with your fingers, shaping them into a ball.
  • Dust some flour and roll the dough with Paneer Stuffing into a Circle.
  • Alternatively, can roll out two chapatis from the dough and then spread the stuffing in the middle.
  • Then gently press the edges and roll it out.
  • Heat a griddle(Tawa) and cook each Paneer Paratha on a medium flame.
  • Drizzle 1/4 Teaspoon of Oil/Ghee over each Paratha and cook them until they turn into golden brown colour on both the sides.
  • Follow the suit for the rest of the dough balls.
  • Serve hot Paneer Parathas with a bowl of Curd(yogurt), Raitha or Pickle.

NOTES:

  • Add very little water as required while kneading the dough.
  • Adding Ghee/Oil while kneading the dough yields soft Parathas.
  • Can Substitute Amchur(Dry Mango Powder) with Lemon Juice.
  • Chop Onions and Green Chillies as finely as possible, but both the ingredients are optional.
  • Grate the Paneer for the stuffing. Crumbling it with your hands may yield you with bigger pieces of paneer in the stuffing, which may break/tear the Parathas when you roll it out.
  • I have used fresh homemade Paneer in this recipe, you can use store bought ones too.
  • Cook Paneer Paratha over a hot griddle.  If cooked at low temperature, Parathas tend to become hard.
  • Can avoid adding Ghee/Oil while roasting the Paneer Parathas. But it gives a wonderful aroma to the Parathas
  • Can also smear a blob of butter over hot Paneer Parathas before serving.


 

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive