BALL - A QUICK EVENING SNACK

by - March 27, 2021

TEA TIME SNACK
BALL - A QUICK EVENING SNACK

    All these years, I was pondering through the web to find a similar dish in vain.  So I am getting into a conclusion that, this so-called BALL RECIPE is a family snack, solely owned by the Anjilamoottil alias Kanjiraparambil Family.  Though I have seen a similar recipe with Rice Flour & Coconut, a dish called Orotti, which is popular in Kanyakumari & Sri Lanka, where they call it as Pol Roti, this Ball recipe is something different from Orotti, as such.  If at all, anybody reading this recipe has already known about a recipe similar to this, hi-five!!!

    Well, it was during my initial days in my in-laws house(just after marriage... new Daughter-in-law, in an all new atmosphere... Scenario). One evening, my MIL & her sister Pearly(Aunty) asked me whether I've eaten a BALL? They said it is a snack made with Flour, Coconut & Sugar.  Okaaay... I thought it should be like those Coconut Balls they sell in Bakeries(Sun Star, Krishna Bakery etc.)  But the expression in my BIL's face confused me.  He said, wait... you are going to have a surprise.  All set and when the Ball was served, I was totally taken aback.  First, It was nowhere in the shape of a Ball, then what I guessed it to be something like the Coconut Ball, no it was not like that too.  Now, my BIL gave an all- knowing smile. Anyway, it was some inside joke within us, a joke between the daughter-in-law & the son-in-law of the family.  

    But, I should say this snack has been a frequented one in the family and my husband loves it to the core.  My MIL says, he used to stuff his pockets with this snack, while going to school. My MIL makes this for his lunch I suppose & my husband happily fills up his pockets & finishes if off even before he reaches the bus stand.  Whatsoever, this happens to be one snack loved by my kids too.  So presenting an all new tea time snack, a nadan palaharam from our own household - "THE BALL." I am writing this recipe with the thought, that the future generation of the family can remember & use this recipe at some point of time.

    Ball is a quick & simple snack which could be easily incorporated within minutes & with ingredients nothing fancy or intricate... And all the more, a healthy snack too.  It is a pancake like snack made with Whole Wheat flour, grated Coconut & Sugar. It clearly falls in between a Pancake & an Adai. These ingredients are mixed along with water.  What we need is a slightly loose dough(gooey-like) & not a batter here. But the trick is when the ratio of the Flour & water are perfect, the dough doesn't stick onto your hands & becomes easy to handle.  Then, we need to simply spread it out on a heated griddle/tawa and cook it on a low flame until both the sides turn crisp & into golden brown.  Serve it with hot Coffee/Tea as an Evening Snack, can be eaten for Breakfast too.

 

For KERALA NADAN PALAHARAM RECIPES, click here...

 

Recipe Type - Cookies, Snacks 

Difficulty - Easy 

Yields - 2 Medium-sized Balls(size of a Chapati)

Author - SM

 

Preparation Time - 5 Minutes

Cooking Time - 7- 10 Minutes for 1 Ball

 

 

For more SNACKS &  SAVOURIES, click here... 

 

 

HOW TO MAKE BALL - A QUICK EVENING SNACK

 

TEA TIME SNACK
BALL - A QUICK EVENING SNACK

 

INGREDIENTS:

Whole Wheat Flour(Aatta) - 2 Cups
Grated Coconut - 3/4 Cup
Sugar - 6 Tablespoons
Water - 2 Cups(Approximately)
Coconut Oil - 2 Tbspn

 

METHOD:

  • In a wide bowl, add Whole Wheat Flour, Sugar, grated Coconut & give a quick stir. 
  • Now, gradually pour in about 2 Cups of Water & make a dough out of it.
  • The dough should be slightly gooey-like.  
  • Perfect ratio of Water & Flour gives you a non-stick dough. (the dough doesn't stick to your hands & would be easy to handle).
  • Meanwhile, heat a griddle or a tawa, smear a bit of coconut oil on it
  • Once heated, reduce the flame to low.
  • Gently scoop out a handful of the gooey-like dough & spread it on the hot tawa with your hands.
  • Spread the dough it into a wide circle, as big as a Chapati.
  • Trust me, the dough helps your hands from the heat.
  • Cook this on a low flame for a few minutes & then flip the Ball.
  • Cook on the other side of the Ball, until it turns into golden brown.
  • This Ball is usually served as an evening Snack.
  • Serve Ball hot, along with Tea/Coffee.  Can be eaten for Breakfast too.

 

TEA TIME SNACK
BALL - A QUICK EVENING SNACK

NOTES:

  • Let me take the credit of perfecting The Flour Water Ratio(1:1) for this Ball Recipe.
  • I couldn't get the precise measurements from my MIL(one of the co-founder of this Ball recipe).
  • Adjust the amount of Sugar to suit your sweet preference.
  • The quantity mentioned yields you with two medium-sized(Chapati like) Balls.
  • Smear the Griddle/tawa with Coconut Oil and spread the dough evenly on top of it with your hands.  Let the flame be at very low at this point.
  • Then can increase the flame to medium-low & cook the Ball.
  • Can drizzle a few teaspoons of Coconut Oil, if preferred.  But I personally do not do so.



You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive