POMELO JUICE

by - February 21, 2021


POMELO
POMELO JUICE

    During my childhood, I have heard about a big citrus fruit Bamblimas. My Dad who earlier worked in Kotagiri, says that they get ample of Bamblimas in season. And also, it was one common term used for a plump & fat kid/person. The fact was that I had never seen this so-called Bamblimas, back in India. But when I saw Pomelos in the local market, during my initial days in Malaysia, I never guessed these were the same Bamblimas. Reading about the fruit, suddenly gave me a revelation that Pomelo is nothing but the Bamblimas.

 

    Bamblimas has been synonymous with plumpness, and the name does total justification to the anomaly. Well seeing a Pomelo fruit, and when I literally held it in my hands I was intimidated by the size. I have never bought a Pomelo, it always comes as a gift and initially I always wondered what I could do with it, leave alone I didn't even know how to cut it. With the help of Google, even I mastered the tasks. 

 

    So it is like when life gives Lemon, no, no, no When life gives you Pomelos make Pomelo, whatever fancies you... The first thing tried out of this was a local dessert -Pomelo, Sago & Mango Dessert.  But the trick is to eat it as soon as you add the Pomelo Pulp into the dessert.  It doesn't taste good if left alone for a long time & the same goes when it is added into Salads too.  Then there are numerous other recipes like various Pomelo Salads, Marmalade, Jams & Candied Peels & as always Pomelo Juice, easy what?!!!

 

    Any fruit as a matter of fact, if possible I Juice it up.  Simple & an easy way to consume the goodness.  So as always tried out Pomelo Juice thinking that it might taste like Sathukud/Mosambi Juice(a variety of Sweet Lime available in India).  I have never seen these Mosambi in Malaysia, but they sell these in Indian Market in Singapore.  Though it taste somewhere near to it, it had a hint of bitterness unique to Pomelos. But yet it was refreshing and satiating.


For more JUICES, DRINKS & SMOOTHIES, Click here...

Recipe Type - Drink
Difficulty - Medium
Serves - 1-2
Author - SM  

Preparation Time - 25 -30 Minutes


To read about the HEALTH BENEFITS OF POMELO, Click here...

HOW TO MAKE POMELO JUICE

POMELO
POMELO JUICE

INGREDIENTS :

Pomelo Pulp - 2 Cups
Sugar/Honey - 1 Tbspn
Water -1/ 2 Cups

Add-ons(If preferred) :

Mint Leaves/Basil - Few


METHOD:

HOW TO CUT A POMELO:

  • First, you need to carefully cut the top off a Pomelo with a sharp knife. The outer peel of the Pomelo can be tough.
  • Then, starting at the cut end, make vertical slices around the Pomelo. Make around 6 to 8 Cuts.
  • Remove the thick rind and peel the membrane from around each segment. You can score the rind which makes it easier to peel.
  • Don’t eat the membrane-like part of the Pomelos as you would eat an orange or grapefruit. 
  • Peel off the membrane and remove the small aril-like pulp. What's good to eat is just the pulp. inside.
  • You can store the Pomelo Pulp in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.

 

 

 HOW TO MAKE POMELO JUICE

POMELO
POMELO JUICE

  • Take the Pomelo pulp and discard the rinds and linings.
  • Add Pomelo pulp along with some Water into a blender.
  • Blend until all the Pomelo pulp is well blended.
  • Pour the Pomelo Juice through a strainer. 
  • I use my juicer jar(which came along with my blender) for the purpose, which has a strainer within which makes the process easier.
  • Collect the strained Pomelo Juice in a bowl. 
  • Add Honey/Sugar to sweeten up the Juice.
  • Pour it into a tall glass and serve the Pomelo Juice chilled or at room temperature.
  • Muddle few Mint Leaves and pour chilled Pomelo Juice over it for a mint flavoured Juice.

 

POMELO JUICE
POMELO JUICE

NOTES:

  • I have used 1 Pomelo and I got 5 Tall glasses of Pomelo Juice out of it.
  • I added very little water while blending the Pomelo Pulps.
  • Adding Sweeteners to the drink is purely optional.
  • Adding Mint Leaves/Basil Leaves to the juice can give you an extra note of taste and flavour to Pomelo Juice. But it is purely optional.
  • Freshly extracted Pomelo Juice(without added sweeteners) can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 days.

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive