PEAR PACHADI

by - September 02, 2020


SADHYA
PEAR PACHADI
      
     When you have really a lot of Pear lying out in your refrigerator, What would you do? My first thought was it just a Pear - eat it.  Then when you realised that it was a bland tasting one, my common sense and my desire to not waste it got the better of me and I thought, let me pickle it!  Then I got into my routines, and as always procrastinated the idea.  But few Pears lying in the refrigerator tried to catch my attention whenever I opened my vegetable rack.
      Trying to appease me with its looks, I took a Pear, sliced a half and was gobbling it up for my breakfast.  There my mind struck up with an idea, why not try Pear Pachadi.  I am always biased when it came to traditional recipes, especially while making Sadhya Vibhavangal and love to strictly adhere to the local produces which authentically fits into the genre.  But this one I went with my whims & fancy; not least had an idea to post it around too.  But when the finished product gave justification and when my husband said, it is really good.  Then I went ahead with the ides of posting Pear Pachadi recipe.  If you are a person who loves a mild sweetness along with the sourness(mild) of Curd with an undoubtful crunchiness in every bite, then this Pear Pachadi is sure to appease you.


PEAR
PEAR

       Pachadi is a must-have item in the long list of side dishes served in a Sadhya. A mixture of Raw Vegetable/Fruit in Curd/Yogurt base, mildly seasoned to enhance the flavours. A bit of unripened fruit, especially sour vegetables and fruits wins hats-off for the dish  Here I have used Pear instead of using contemporary ingredients normally used while making Pachadis. Pear Pachadi is a simple, easy to cook recipe which can be prepared within minutes.  Unlike Mango Pachadi, Pear isn't cooked.  So this dish can be prepared in a jiffy. This mildly sweet & tangy side dish is prepared with Pear, grated Coconut and Curd(Yogurt), seasoned with Mustard seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Green Chillies & Curry Leaves to add a tinge of flavour to the dish.
     Try making this Pear Pachadi for this Sadhya. The mild sweetness & crunchiness from the Pear and the mild sourness from Curd makes it compatible with Rice, especially it goes well with Kerala Matta Rice. Serve it as a side in a Lunch menu or add it as one of the side dishes in the long list of Sadhya Vibhavangal.


For more recipes for SADHYA, click here...


Cuisine - Kerala (South India)
Course - Side dish
Spice Level - Low
Difficulty - Easy
Serves - 3-4
Author - SM

Preparation Time - 5 - 7 Minutes
Cooking Time - 5 Minutes


For more Recipes from GODS OWN COUNTRY - KERALA  click here...


HOW TO MAKE PEAR PACHADI

SADHYA
PEAR PACHADI


INGREDIENTS:

Pear - 1 No.(Medium Size)
Salt - To Taste
Sugar - a Pinch
Thick Curd - 11/4 Cup

 

For a detailed Recipe on HOW TO MAKE CURD/YOGURT, Click here...

To Temper:

Coconut Oil - 1 Tbspn
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tspn
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 Tspn (optional)
Bengal Gram Dhal - 1/4 Tspn(optional)
Dry Red Chillies - 1 Nos.
Curry leaves - 2 Sprigs
Green Chillies - 2 Nos.
Coconut - 1/4 Cup

METHOD:

  • Wash Peel, Core & Cut Pears into small pieces, alternatively it can be grated too.
  • Whisk the Curd and pour it to the above.
  • Add a dash of Salt and a pinch of Sugar and mix well.
  • Heat Oil in a pan, splutter Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Dry Red Chillies, Green Chillies and Curry Leaves.
  • Add grated Coconut to the above and give a quick stir.
  • Immediately switch off the flame.
  • Pour the tempering into the Pear Pachadi and mix well.
  • Serve it with rice or add it as one of the side dishes for SADHYA.


NOTES:

  • Grated Pears tend to ooze out a bit of water, so I feel it is best to cut it into small pieces & then add it along with Curd.
  • If not, Pachadi will turn out to be watery.
  • I usually cut them into tiny bites and leave them in the refrigerator, which will help in retaining the crunchiness of the Pear.
  • Just before serving I mix it up with Curd/Yogurt and the tempering.
  • Adding Fenugreek is totally optional.
  • Do not cook the Pear or reheat the dish, reheating may curdle the curd and make the Pear Pachadi watery. 
  • Can use any cooking oil for tempering, but Coconut oil gives an authentic flavour to the dish.

SHOP RELATED PRODUCTS:

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive