ROSE KULFI RECIPE/SHAHI GULAB KULFI

by - January 17, 2019

KULFI
ROSE KULFI RECIPE/SHAHI GULAB KULFI
     3 Years back I wrote my first blog post and since then, blogging has become my daily chore. Today I am celebrating, literally celebrating on my own, the 3rd Anniversary of my blog - 'Essence of Life - Food' along with my 23rd Wedding Anniversary. Blogging keeps me going, occupies my free time and I have learned(read) a lot in these 3 years than ever before. As a matter of fact, I have started to think and plan a lot for my blog recently, I realised I am occupied with my blog more than ever...
     Whenever I meet a person, maybe an old friend, acquaintance or somebody new after the regular talks, the next thing they always ask me is what I do, whether I work and such... this question comes with real curiosity. For the people who know me well, they wonder why I don't work,  how I turned up into a fulltime homemaker... how I spend my free time...
    To be true, even before I realised what I was doing, home, kids and my husband had taken all my time and I did my daily chores with such passion and dedication that I never felt that I even had some free time.  I keep myself so much occupied with my own interests - husband and kids on the first hand, then comes reading - not a day goes by without reading, then comes cooking and trying new recipes.  And almost every day I had to sit with my kids to tutor them, the subject I knew, then came the subjects & language I learned for them, I was always backing my kids, teaching them and all the way long growing up with them. And it is just a year before when my daughter finished her school that I felt I had more time rather than before.
      But only recently, when asked, I have started to say that I am a Food Blogger.  But the next question really puts me off when they ask how this really works and do you make any MONEY out of it.  I am always in search of the right words to explain how it works, and coming to money... I have to say... NO, no I don't make money out of this blog. Ya, this is a site with advertisements, but I don't make a living out of it.  Then comes the next question, if at all so, why am I doing this?  What I can say them is that certain things bring more Happiness and Satisfaction.



KULFI
ROSE KULFI RECIPE/SHAHI GULAB KULFI
 
      Lets cut the crap and talk about ROSE KULFI/SHAHI GULAB KULFI.  KULFI has become the most frequented Dessert at home and the major reason behind it is my husband.  I can see him walking to the fridge up and down when I stack Kulfi and within no time it gets over. So when I was frequenting with Kulfis, I thought would give a twist by making Rose Kulfi and there came the idea when I was preparing Rose Milk with Rose Syrup one day.
    "A Rose is a Rose is a Rose... "- as said by Shakespeare and one of my husband's Favourite Quotes... The flower or the colour or the redolence, I am not sure which appeals me,  But the elegant & exotic Rose has always been my favourite flower. 
     Roses loved by the Mughals, Persians and Greeks, a symbol of Love is a gorgeous flower which is refreshing, mesmerizing, calms you down and cools down your senses. This Rose Kulfi/Shahi Gulab Kulfi is an easy recipe prepared with Milk and Rose Syrup as basic ingredients.  Rose Kulfi as such is an aromatic treat which will soothe our senses with its delightful colour, aroma and taste.


For more recipes on KULFI, click here...


Cuisine - Indian
Recipe Type - Ice Cream, Dessert
Difficulty - Medium
Serves - 3 - 4
Author - SM  

Preparation Time - 10 - 15 Minutes
Cooking Time - 15 - 20 Minutes
Freezing Time - 6 -8 Hours/Overnight


HOW TO MAKE ROSE KULFI/SHAHI GULAB KULFI

KULFI
ROSE KULFI RECIPE/SHAHI GULAB KULFI

 

INGREDIENTS :

Rose Syrup - 1/2 Cup
Milk - 4 Cups
Condensed Milk - 2 Cups
Milk Powder - 8 Tbspns
Khoya/Mawa - 11/2 Cups
Sugar - 1 Cup
Cardamom Powder - 11/2 Tspn
Saffron - Few Strands(Optional)

To Garnish:

Cashew Nuts - 10 to 12 Nos.
Almonds - 10 to 12 Nos.
Pistachios - 10 to 12 Nos.
Dried Rose Petals - few (optional)

METHOD :

  • Dissolve Saffron strands in few teaspoons of milk and keep it aside.
  • Mix Milk Powder in cold milk to make a thick paste, mix well until there are no lumps.
  • Add rest of the Milk to the Milk Powder Paste, along with Condensed Milk, Sugar and mix well.
  • Bring this Milk Mix to boil on a very low flame for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • Scrap the sides in between.
  • Add Mawa/Khoya and mix well, preferably using a whisk.
  • Leave this on a very low flame stirring thoroughly.
  • Care should be taken not to burn the mix and make sure there are no lumps.
  • Pour in the Rose Syrup and mix well.
  • Leave this on a low flame for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Add Cardamom Powder, dissolved Saffron and mix well.
  • Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
  • Freeze the Mix for about 2-3 hours until half set.
  • Remove the mix from the freezer and whip it up in a blender or with an egg beater for few minutes.
  • Pour this into Kulfi moulds.
  • Garnish Rose Kulfi with slivered nuts and dried Rose Petals.
  • Again freeze it for about 8-10 hours or until well set.
  • Serve Rose Kulfis chilled.

NOTES :

  • If you feel the mix is watery can add 1 tspn of Corn Starch.
  • Use a wide heavy-bottomed pot to simmer the Milk Mix.
  • The large surface area of the pot will speed up the process.
  • While boiling the milk, stir it frequently otherwise it will tend to burn and will totally spoil the taste of Kulfi.
  • Adding Mawa/Khoya is truly optional for Rose Kulfis, I add them to give a rich texture.
  • For a soft Rose Kulfi add more sugar, also sugar helps in scalding down the milk mix soon.
  • I have used the Rose Syrup(sweet version), so I have adjusted the amount of sweetness to my preference in the recipe.
  • Can also use fresh/dried Rose Petals, Rose Essence/Rose Water to flavour this Rose Kulfi.
  • Pour only 3/4 of the level in the mould, while freezing, as it tends to expand.

HOW TO REMOVE KULFI FROM THE MOLD:

  • Run each mould with the lid on under a tap of running hot water or fill a bowl with hot water, stand the kulfi mould in the bowl for few seconds
  • Carefully invert the mould on a serving plate holding on to the stick.
  • Alternatively, can twist the mould between your palms of both of your hands.
  • The idea is to make the mould warm so that Kulfis come out clean from the mould.
  • Both ideas work best.

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive