MUTTON CUTLET/LAMB CROQUETTES

by - September 30, 2017

STARTERS
MUTTON CUTLET/LAMB CROQUETTES
    This is my 200th blog post, 
     Looking into the long way I have come along, up to this 200th Post, still make me wonder.  Well, I am quite impressed by the number, but was totally not sure whether I could keep up with the pace of blogging in my own style. Last year I made an impulse decision to launch my long planned thought of blogging to commemorate my 20th Wedding Anniversary and it's probably the best decision I've ever made. 
    Since I started my blog in 2016, writing my first few blog posts before launching them, me and my daughter trying our knows and lots of dont's with Photography, Food Presentation etc.,  To be frank, we knew nothing about it, nor did we invest anything on fancy gadgets until today.  We use our ready to shoot Nikon and iPhone SE for our pictures. I wouldn't say that we do a great job, but we sure are in the tough way of a learning process.
    Looking back into my first few posts that were posted on 17th January 2016.  I checked the next day to see whether if at all anybody even noticed my blog.  My stats said 21 people had read my posts.  I have never taken any steep leaps or hiked the viewership since then, but I am happy to see that I've come a long way. All the more I'm happy with my blogging today because I get to learn a lot every day and spent my quality time in what I love, reading, cooking, clicking and writing.
      Keeping up with the flow of daily routine, cooking, clicking, editing.  Ya just recently I started doing it all on my own. My daughter is busy with her studies, as she is in her final year of schooling and all the more with upcoming board exams, she is totally occupied and busy with her hectic revision schedules. Waiting for her exams to get over and we have a long to-do list plan for the blog.
     Yet another family favourite for my 200th Post - Mutton Cutlet/Lamb Croquettes.  This crisply delicious and sinfully satisfying starter is always on our family menu, no matter what occasion or festival it marks for. Every time it comes up with different ingredient though, sometimes with chicken or beef and may be simply with vegetables for a total vegetarian option. But our all time favourite is the Lamb Cutlet with minced meat and potatoes, coated with breadcrumbs for a crispy crust.
     Serve it as a starter or as a Tea-time Snack with a dipping sauce of your choice. Just combine it with finely sliced Onions, Carrots etc., with a dash of tomato ketchup or Red-Chili Sauce to add a zing to the croquettes.

Cuisine - Indian (Kerala, South India)
Course - Appetizer / Starter
Spice Level  - Low
Difficulty - Medium

Yields - 20 Cutlets
Author - SM


Preparation Time - 20-30 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20 - 30 Minutes 



HOW TO MAKE MUTTON CUTLET/LAMB CROQUETTES



STARTERS
MUTTON CUTLET/LAMB CROQUETTES


INGREDIENTS :

For Meat Cutlet Patties :

Minced Meat - 1/2 Kg.
Potatoes - 3 Nos. 
To Saute :
Onions- 2 No 
Garlic - 4-5 Cloves
Ginger - 1 Small Piece
Green Chillies - 4-5 Nos.
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 Tspn
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 Tspn 
Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 Tspn
Pepper Powder - 1/2 Tspn
Mint Leaves - Few
Coriander Leaves - Few
Oil - 2 Tbspn
Salt - To Taste

For the Crust : 

Egg - 2 Nos.
Bread Crumbs - 2 Cups

For Deep Frying :

Oil 

METHOD :

  • Mince the Meat using a food processor or mincer and keep it aside.
  • Boil the Potatoes, peel, mash them and keep it aside.
  • Heat Oil in a pan, Saute finely chopped Onions, Garlic, Ginger and Garlic cloves until onions turn translucent.
  • Add Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Garma Masala to the above and fry for a while on a low flame until fragrant.
  • Add Minced meat along with a dash of Salt, Pepper Powder and mix well.
  • Cook this on a low flame until the meat is well cooked. 
  • Sprinkle some water if necessary at this stage. 
  • Sprinkle finely chopped Mint and Coriander Leaves and give a quick stir.
  • Switch off the flame and add mashed Potatoes to the meat mix.
  • Mix it well with your hands until well combined. 
  • Shape into small balls and flatten them at the centres into round patties with your palms(make sure there are no cracks).
  • Meanwhile beat eggs in a bowl with a pinch of salt.
  • Spread Bread Crumbs on a large plate. 
  • Dip the Meat Cutlet patties in the egg first.
  • Then dredge them in bread crumbs, make sure that the patties are evenly coated with bread crumbs on all sides.
  • Heat oil in a deep pan until they reach the smoky point.
  • Lower the flame to medium and deep fry the Meat Cutlet patties in batches.
  • Do not over crowd the oil pan.
  • Fry the Meat Cutlet patties until crisp and golden brown in colour. 
  • Remove them from oil with a slotted spoon, and line them up on paper towels.
  • Serve hot with any dipping sauce of your choice.

For a detailed Recipe on HOW TO MAKE BREAD CRUMBS, Click here...

NOTES :

  • Can replace Meat/Lamb with Chicken, Beef or Tuna. 
  • Can also prepare with a mix of Vegetables like Carrots, Beans, Potatoes, Cabbage, Beetroot, Cauliflower, Green Peas etc.,
  • Deep fried Meat Cutlets/Lamb Croquettes taste better comparatively. 
  • Use the right fat, right pan and the right temperature suitable for deep frying, for guilt free eating.
  • Allowing the Oil to smoke initially will cut down the fat content to an extent.
  • Do not over crowd the pan while deep frying the Meat Cutlets.
  • Raw Meat Cutlet patties can be stored in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 4 days, or can be frozen up to 1 month.


 
 

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive