TOMATO CURRY

by - January 18, 2016

CHUTNEYS AND CONDIMENTS
TOMATO CURRY







      Every time I make dosa or idli, this Tomato Curry is a default accompaniment. It is an easy curry with few ingredients and it takes no time to make it. A quick fix according to me.  I have tried this curry in different ways and always I have found it tasty.  I prefer the tanginess of the curry. As the tomatoes, I get locally are not sour as our Nattu Thakkali in India, I add a bit of tamarind into this Tomato Curry.
     This is a  family recipe, I have eaten for years.  I always remember my Amma making this Tomato Curry for Idlis and Dosas. Also, it is my MIL's speciality.  This curry always reminds me of our family trip to Velankanni.  The day we travel to Velankanni, we pack our morning breakfast and also the Lunch.  Morning breakfast would always be Idli with this Tomato Curry and Coconut chutney.  Good old days...

Cuisine : South Indian
Recipe Type : Curry
Course : Side Dish
Spice Level  : Medium - High
Difficulty : Low
Serves : 3- 4
Author : SM


Preparation Time - 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time - 20-30 Minutes

 

INGREDIENTS :

Onions - 2 Nos.
Tomato - 3 Nos.
Green Chillies - 2 Nos.
Garlic - 2 Cloves
Turmeric - 1 Tspn
Red Chilli Powder - 2 Tspn
Tamarind Paste - 1/4 Tspn(Optional)
Salt - To Taste

For Tempering :

Mustard - 1/2 Tspn
Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
Oil - 1 Tbspn

To Garnish :

Coriander Leaves - To Garnish

METHOD :

  • Heat Oil in a pan and splutter Mustard Seeds in it. 
  • Add Curry Leaves and fry for a while.
  • Immediately add finely chopped Onions, Garlic, Green chillies and Saute it until onions turn translucent.
  • Add Turmeric and Red Chilli powder and fry for a while on a very low flame until the raw flavour goes.
  • Add chopped Tomatoes and saute until it breaks apart and blends well into the mix.
  • Add Tamarind Paste along with a dash of Salt and mix well.
  • Pour some water if needed.
  • Leave it on a low flame until oil separates from the curry.
  • Garnish with Coriander Leaves.
  • It is a good accompaniment with Idli, Dosa, Uthappam, Paniyaram, Chapati etc.,

Notes :

  • Can blend the tomatoes instead of chopping them.
  • If the tomatoes are not sour enough, can add 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind paste to it.
  • I usually add a pinch of sugar to the curry( Any curry as a matter of fact).
  • Can add freshly ground dry roasted coriander seeds along with red chilli powder and turmeric. It gives a good flavour to the curry.
  • I like to add some mint leaves to the curry. 







You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive