GREEN PEAS MASALA/MATAR MASALA

by - January 17, 2016




          The story of my version of Green Peas Masala/Matar Masala, has a great deal to do with my son.  He is a choooooosy eater, EVER....When he was a kid, I had to think of new-new ideas everyday to fancy his appetite and make him eat something.  This recipe fancied him when we were dining out one day and he asked me to prepare the same for him the next day to school.  Then I least had an idea, what the ingredients I would need to cook it.  I didn't have any cook book which had the recipe to match the suit.  Just gave a try, with the help of my sense and taste buds.  I wouldn't say it was a bad one for the first time.
         Since then I have been trying to make my version of Green Peas Masala/Matar Masala better.  But my son prefers my old school version.  So I stuck to it. If I happen to ask him whenever I cook chapati, what I shall cook along with it and he would always say Pattani Curry (Green Peas Curry).  I always have frozen peas 'at my disposal' for the purpose.
      This Green Peas Masala/Matar Masala recipe is a quick version which can be easily prepared in a pressure cooker. Alternatively can slow cook the same recipe in a pan.

Cuisine - North Indian
Course - Side Dish
Spice Level - Medium - High
Difficulty - Medium
Serves - 3-4
Author : SM

Preparation Time - 15-20 Minutes

Cooking Time - 30-25 Minutes

INGREDIENTS :

Green Peas  -  1 Cup
Onions  - 2 Nos.
Tomato Puree - 1 Cup
Cardamom - 4 Nos.
Garam Masala - 2 Tspn
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Tspn
Red Chilli Powder / Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 Tspns
Coriander Powder - 3 Tspns
Tomato Ketchup - 1-2 Tbspn
Butter or Oil - 1 Tbspns
Salt - To Taste
Sugar - 1 Tspn.(Optional)

For Garnishing:
Black Salt - 1/4 Tspn
Coriander Leaves - few
Kasuri Methi/Dried-Fenugreek Leaves - 1/2 Tspn

METHOD :

  • Wash the Green Peas and keep it aside.
  • Grind the Onions along with Cardamoms to a smooth paste.
  • Puree the Tomatoes (if using fresh ones) .
  • Heat Oil or Butter in a pan/Pressure Cooker, saute the ground Onion Paste in it until raw flavour goes.
  • Add Turmeric powder, Red Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder and Garam Masala to the above and fry for a while on a vey low flame.
  • Pour in the Tomato Puree and mix well. 
  • Leave this on a lower flamer until oil separates.
  • Add Tomato Ketchup and mix well.
  • Add Green Peas along with a dash of salt and a pinch of Sugar and give a quick Stir.
  • Add some water and mix well.
  • Cover the lid of the Pressure Cooker and cook a whistle on high flame, lower the flame and cook for other 5 minutes.
  • Switch off the flame, once the pressure is released, remove the lid and give a quick stir.
  • Adjust the consistency to your preference.
  • Add a dash of Black Salt & give a quick stir.
  • Garnish Green Peas Masala/Matar Masala with finely chopped Coriander Leaves & crushed Kasuri Methi.
  • Goes well with Biriyanis, PulaosGhee Rice/Nei Choru or just simply serve it with steamed white rice or Basmati Rice.
  • Green Peas Masala/Matar Masala pairs well with Naan, Kulcha, Parotta/Roti and Chapatis, especially Maida(All-purpose Flour) Chapatis.

NOTES :

  • Adding Sugar and Tomato Ketchup to the gravy is optional. 
  • A pinch of sugar in any gravy enhances the taste and help to retain the colour of the vegetable.
  • Can cook the green peas with salt separately and then add it to the gravy.
  • When cooked along with the gravy the flavours get infused into the green peas and tastes good.
  • Can serve with a dollop of fresh cream over the gravy.

You May Also Like

0 comments

POPULAR POSTS

Blog Archive